High School - Seniors with a minimum 2.5 grade point average who will be attending college this year may apply to the HRBMP High School Journalism/Media Scholarship. Please download the application, attached here, for further details:
College - Undergraduate and rising graduate students pursuing journalism or other media-related studies may apply to the HRBMP Scholarship. Applicants must have a minimum 3.0 GPA in their major, and a 2.5 GPA overall. Applicants should be attending college in Hampton Roads and/or in the viewing/circulation area of Hampton Roads TV news broadcasts and Hampton Roads-area newspapers. Students from Hampton Roads attending colleges anywhere in Virginia and previous HRBMP scholarship winners are also eligible to apply. Please download the application, attached here, for further details:
The Hampton Roads Black Media Professionals' scholarship season has begun. As in previous years, we will be awarding from $500 to $1,000 to rising and current college students pursuing journalism or other media-related careers.
NEW SCHOLARSHIP OPPORTUNITY!
The Sinclair Broadcast Diversity Scholarship provides financial support to college students interested in broadcasting, journalism, and marketing. The Fund plans to award up to 10 scholarships of up to $5,000 each per year for the next ten years to students from under- represented minority groups who need financial assistance to complete their education.
For more information and to apply online please click here or download the pdf application here.
Last year, the Hampton Roads Black Media Professionals awarded $4,500 in scholarships. If you're eligible, please apply, or if you know of a student who is eligible, please send him or her a link to our scholarship page and encourage them to apply.
2015 HRBMP Scholarship Winners
The 2015 college winners are:
• Tykhari Coles of Norfolk State University
• Kalynne Wilson of Regent University
• Alexis Platt of Virginia Wesleyan College
• Arriana McLymore of Hampton University
• Ashanté Travis of Hampton University. Travis was awarded $1,000, while the others received $500 each.
The 2015 high school winners:
• Alexis Whitted of Grassfield High School in Chesapeake
• Morgan Golden of Hampton High School
From left to right, Scholarship Chair Cheryl Ross, winner Rolonda Taylor, (back) scholarship committee member Larry Rubama, winner Kalynne Wilson, (front) winner Joel Caffey, winner Brittney Banks, winner Adriane Fraser.
Maurice Jones, former publisher of The Virginian-Pilot, drops by California Pizza Kitchen to celebrate with HRBMP's scholarship winners.
HRBMP scholarship winners celebrate at California Pizza Kitchen.
HRBMP Media Scholarship winner LaZashley Taylor with former WVEC president and general manager Tod Smith at the HRBMP scholarship celebration.
1 - 4
The 2014 scholarship winners are:
• Adriane Fraser, University of Charleston — Media Scholarship
• Jordon E. Grice, Hampton University – Media Scholarship
• Kalynne Wilson, Regent University – Media Scholarship
• Brittney Banks, Christopher Newport University — Media Scholarship
• Rolonda Taylor, Virginia Wesleyan College — HRBMP Cheryl Ross and John Robinson Promise Scholarship
• Joel Caffey, Boston University – Promise Scholarship
Copyright © 2017 Hampton Roads Black Media Professionals, Inc. All Rights Reserved